He was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease, and it attacked his internal muscles quickly. Tucson family took great care of him in his last days. My parents were with him the week before and then as his body shut down the next week we all got to ponder and reflect on the wonderful man he is and the blessing in our lives.
Some of my Memories
Grandpa's woodwork, such a gift of love and service.
My cedar chest sits in my family room and every time I look at it I think of him. It was not that he made cedar chests regularly, he had to figure out how to make them so that I could have one. It was what I wanted so he made it happen. I will always think of him when I think of all the wood projects and toys. The rocking horse, is now a favorite of our kids 30 years later and my brothers still have their trucks and airplanes to share with their kids.
Grandpa's interest in me,
I am pretty sure Grandpa did not know anything about soccer before he had grandkids, but he was always willing to ask and listen about our latest game or team efforts. Even as an adult he would ask me about my preschool group I was working with. If he thought it was something I loved he wanted to talk about it.
Grandpas care.
Every time I came to visit in college or as a young newly wed, Grandpa would always fill my car up with gas. He always wanted to make sure I was taking care of it and staying on top of the maintenance. where did he get that from? it means so much to a poor starving student, not to have to worry about the gas money. His generosity is something I want to always do in my life.
Grandpa's advice
Before Conway's baby blessing, Grandpa Christensen pulled Britton aside to tell him how important the blessing was. He told him to be as specific as the spirit directed and don't leave anything out. Britton was so touched, and now always forwards the advice to new father's, giving Grandpa Christensen the credit.
Grandpa's eternal perspective.
After Grandpa met Britton for the first time, my mom asked him what he thought, he said "Britton is great he will definitely help her get to the celestial kingdom"
his response was so special to me when I think about all the other things you can say about a person all that really matters is staying the course to return to heaven.
During the funeral service each generation of his posterity represented sharing about our love for Grandpa. Conway as the oldest great grandchild got to represent the Great Grand Kids. Lacey spoke on behalf of the Grand Kids and Uncle Tyler for his Children. A group of us grandkids also sang a special musical number. It was so cool and I loved reminiscing about the very special man My Grandpa is. I know I will see him again and that Heaven is Real! As my brother said He is now part of a great missionary field in spirit world.
Conway shared in his talk about him being the oldest of 31+ great grand kids how all of them are both great and grand. He talked about Grandpa always sharing candy with them having a fistful of gummy bears or red vines for them and was even willing to sneak it to them behind mom's back. He talked about how they all loved helping Grandpa feed his dog Max. And him starting a tradition of going to the lake every summer at lake Powell.

Conway was pretty nervous and he wasn't sure he could do it, but he asked his Dad to stand near him at the pulpit and he was able to keep his cool and deliver a clear and pure talk! Afterwards I was talking to him about how special I thought it was, he agreed that it was one of the coolest things he had ever done!
The kids had the opportunity to relax in a nursery during the service and 1 month old Ryker was the only greatgrandchild in the chapel The Stake President from the pulpit used Ryker as an example as Grandpa's great grandchildren he said " he wont have memories of him, but they will know him as they know the Savior." It was so powerful to think that grandpa's influence will continue to help us all.
We had such a great time being with all of my family and enjoying eachother. It was one of the greatest weekends with my favorite people in this whole world!










This is such a beautiful post. I love the photos of you as a little girl!
ReplyDelete